About This Page

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Parody God

So as you know I am Gangnam Style crazy and love this video and song so much. I mean I have the song as my current ring tone! OPPA GANGNAM STLYE!!!! <(^0^<)

And what I thought was more hilarious than the epic itself was the following videos that spun off from it's amazing originality. Tons of video uploads featured on Youtube that tried to poke more fun at the song. Problem though... How do you make fun of a song or video that is already poking fun at itself? (As also said by Simon & Martina @ Eatyourkimchi.com) Not to knock the makers of these videos but when in comparison, PSY is the master at his own creation. No one else has been able to match up.

Except one man.

David So.




Upon watching this video, I took note of several key things that David So did that made his video note worthy of it's mentioning. He sticks with PSY's original video layout such as video takes in a parking garage, club, sauna, and other similar scene sporting similar styles in their clothing as well. However, slight differences in David's remake also is what makes his video more special than the other parodies I've seen so far. Replacing "Gagnam" with the word "Byun-tae"(변태), as defined in the opening of the video as "Used to describe someone who says, thinks, or does perverted things."

This small change, along with some others works in favor of David. It gives him the leverage to make this video uniquely his own, to add more elements that differ from Gangnam Style, and all the while poking fun at PSY's obvious perversion in his own video. But David takes the perversion angle further than PSY. Can I just note one thing though... Korea is really uptight about what is allowed and acceptable for public eyes. And with the new censorship screening taking charge before videos are even uploaded to the net, it is easier for David to get away with swinging from a door frame bottomless, with a censored sign over his "stuff"here in the States, whereas in Korea this would raise a lot of negative attention in the media and music industries and within the public as well.

But regardless I feel that David So deserves the attention for making a really great equally as funny parody off a video that was already epic and hilarious to begin with. Did I mention that the video features Arden Cho? And with his amazing networking skills, from his past videos It seems he was able to pull in some dancers to help out in his video as well. So with his accessibility for a strong supporting crew David's video gets 5 stars from me. I know tonight I am downloading this song to be in my spotify playlist. Because I love "Byun-Tae Style." ;D


 


Visit his Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/DavidinSo
And Subscribe to his videos on Youtube!
He's my absolute favorite comedian who is currently rising to stardom!



No comments:

Post a Comment